Why you should be optimizing your discount strategy now.
Why Use Intelligems with Klaviyo
See how Intelligems Campaigns helps you strategically run your tests in Klaviyo to ensure you're optimizing your profits.
Introduction to Klaviyo
As many of you website owners already know, Klaviyo is a widely used platform among e-commerce businesses. Klaviyo specializes in marketing automation via email and SMS and lets e-commerce businesses deliver targeted and personalized marketing messages to their customers to help them analyze the effectiveness of their campaigns. These features ultimately help e-commerce sites drive customer engagement, increase sales, and grow their business.
- Email and SMS Marketing - create and send personalized campaigns to customers based on behaviors, preferences, and purchase history
- Automation and Segmentation - put customers into specific groups based on a variety of attributes, allowing for highly relevant and targeted marketing to be conducted
- Analytics and Reporting - help optimize marketing strategies by providing insights and analytics on the performance of marketing initiatives
- Integrations - Klaviyo integrates smoothly with platforms like Shopify to ensure an optimal customer experience and synchronize data
Where you should be plugging in Intelligems
It's undoubtedly really appealing for e-commerce businesses to include special offers in Klaviyo, but what you should be asking is: are your Klaviyo campaigns actually effective? The only way to know for sure is to test them first, and here's why.
- You may be pulling forward revenue rather than actually increasing it
- This essentially means that if you run a promo code you may not actually be increasing revenue, even if you think you are
- Instead, your customers are just buying a product they would have eventually purchased anyway because you offered it earlier at a discounted price
- This trap is very common to get stuck in, as it's easy to look at the data without thinking about the big picture, and then believe that your promo codes are crushing it
- You may be discounting too much (or too little)
- If you're discounting too much in hopes of gaining customers, perhaps you're hurting your profits more than you need to be
- On the flip side, if you're not discounting enough, implementing a higher discount could help you yield significantly better profits
- The only way to find the sweet spot is by testing - which is exactly what we do here at Intelligems
- You may not need to be discounting at all
- It's possible that discounting just isn't right for your product, or your customers would keep purchasing it even without having them
- Again, the only way to know for sure is to test
- While Klaviyo AB tests optimize on opens, click-throughs, and conversions, Intelligems AB tests optimize on revenue and profit
- The question you need to ask here is: what are you trying to optimize for?
- If the answer is which marketing campaign email users click on the most, pretty much 100% of the time it's going to be the one with the higher discount. BUT this doesn't; tell you how effective your discount strategy is in terms of your profits
- If the answer is AB testing the actual effectiveness of a discount, you need to be focused on profit optimization, which is what Intelligems helps you understand
The problem with discount codes
- Coupons that are easy to remember leak - say you give out a general code like SUMMER 2023
- Coupons that are leak-proof are impossible to remember - say you give out an illegible code like SUMMER3XY42
- They often cause a frustrating user experience, especially since you can't apply the code until checkout
- Instead of relying on these faulty strategies, use Intelligems Campaigns links in Klaviyo
- Discounts are automatically applied at checkout
- You don't need to worry about discount code leakage or lengthy codes
- An overall seamless discount experience for your customer is ensured
If you want to dive deeper into how to create more effective promotions through Intelligems Campaigns, check out this blog post.
In order to be certain that your marketing campaigns are not just successfully getting the attention of your customers, but that they are also economically beneficial for you, you need to be testing your prices.
With Intelligems, you can easily use the campaigns feature to help you decide how to strategically and effectively run your tests in Klaviyo.